On this day … 15 June 1833

A notice was placed in the Preston Chronicle advertising the lease on the ‘Walton Factory’ for sale. The cotton mill, which was also known as the Penwortham Factory, was on the Walton-le-Dale boundary with Penwortham.

The mill had opened more than fifty years earlier, one of two pioneering mills south of the Ribble developed by the Preston cotton manufacturer John Watson. It gained notoriety by its employment of orphans from the neighbouring workhouse. Watson’s empire collapsed in 1807, but the mill survived the collapse and it continued to operate until its final closure in 2006.

Advert for Walton Factory at Walton-le-Dale

The notice in the Preston Chronicle describes an extensive estate in addition to the factory itself, which was served by its own gas-powered engine house. The estate also included fifty-one cottages, a provisions shop and houses for the manager and the owner. The owner’s house was described as:

‘… a delightfully situated residence … within a short distance of the Factory, but quite retired therefrom, with Gardens, and Pleasure Grounds, and about 4 Acres of good Meadow and Pasture Land.’

The property was next to the mill’s reservoir, which ‘skirts one side of the pleasure grounds, and is highly ornamental to the premises. Not so ornamental, was the Lancaster Canal Company’s tram road that ran alongside, but which provided the factory with a cheap and regular supply of coal from the Wigan pits.

Map of Walton Factory at Walton-le-Dale - 1840s
National Library of Scotland: https://maps.nls.uk/view/102343970

The area was surveyed between 1844 and 1846, and the six-inch Ordnance Survey map pictured was published in 1848. Looking at the map, it is difficult to see where the fifty-one cottages where located, although forty separate dwellings, including a farm, housing 130 residents, are listed on the 1851 census, many uninhabited. It was then known as Ridings Factory.

The 1909 Ordnance Survey map of the site provides more detail:

National Library of Scotland: https://maps.nls.uk/view/126518255

In the last century it specialised in producing surgical dressings, which it was still doing until 2006, trading as Vernon Carus. After its closure, it became derelict and has now been demolished. The proposed development at the site would result in around 200 houses and a small supermarket.


Discover more from preston history

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply