Anthony Hewitson appended a chronology to his History of Preston.  It covers the period from 705 up until the publication of the book in 1883. Its main interest lies in its record of events of later years, especially of the 19th century, so the date order has been reversed here to reflect that interest. The chronology is has been republished because it complements the more detailed chronology prepared by Henry Kirby from the Preston Guardian, and because Hewitson’s book is not easily found on line.
 Anthony Hewitson, History of Preston, reprint of 1883 edition (Wakefield: S. R. Publishers, 1969), 547–66.
January 1 Preston Union Bank registered.
January 16 General Lord Wolseley and Lady Wolseley visited Preston on their way to Major General Feilden’s, near Blackburn.
January 17 Matthew Brown, brewer, died, aged 76.
January 25 Colonel Cross, of Red Scar, died, aged 62.
February 28 Meeting of shareholders of the Ribble Navigation Company; action of directors in respect to selling the Company’s undertaking to Preston Corporation approved of.
March 7 Loop line, joining the West Lancashire and East Lancashire Railways, passed by the Government Inspector.
April 4 Ribble Improvement Bill came before Select Committee of the House of Commons.
April 9 First Triennial Election of Guardians for the Preston Union.
April 11 Preamble of Ribble Improvement Bill proved by Select Committee of the House of Commons.
April 27 Ribble Bill read a third time in the House of Commons.
May 23 Wednesdays and Fridays made Cattle Market days, at Preston, in addition to Tuesdays and Thursdays.
May 27 James B. Proctor shot Mary Ann Yates, and then shot himself, at Fulwood.
June 15 Ribble Bill passed by the House of Lords’ Committee.
June 16 Mr. W. S. Simpson, Liverpool (Independent Liberal and Labour candidate at the election at Preston in 1882), died.
June 21 Councillor John Gudgeon died.
June 26 Mr. Bradlaugh at Preston.
June 30 Mr. Hanbury released from his engagement to contest Preston.
June 30 Death of Archdeacon Fearne (formerly curate of St. Peter’s, Preston), at Natal.
July 1 Rev. J. Shepherd Birley died, at his residence, Moss Lee, Sharples, near Bolton, in the 78th year of his age.
July 4 Wigan and Preston Railway Bill passed the House of Lords.
July 11 Preston Bank made a Limited Liability Company.
July 18 Election of Mr. W. Hale to a seat in the Town Council, vice Mr. John Gudgeon deceased.
July 14 Funeral, at Manchester, of John Calvert, formerly of Preston, editor of “Mechanics’ Almanack,” &c.
July 19 Meeting of Local Committee, Royal Albert Asylum, at which it was reported that Edward Rodgett, Esq., of Darwen Bank, near Preston, had given a further donation of £643 to the Rodgett Infirmary.
July 23 Consecration of St. Matthew’s Church, Preston.
July 25 Fresh Salmon from 10d. to 1s. per lb. at Preston, and 8d. per Ib, at Southport.
July 25 Sudden Death of Mr. George Teale.
August 4 Laying Foundation Stone of Leyland Water Works’ Pumping Station, near Clayton Green.
August 4 Rev. R. Moore, vicar of Lund, attained the 91st year of his age.
August 7 Death of Mr. John Bryning, J.P., of Highgate House, Newton, near Preston, aged 84 years.
August 8 Formation of a Ratepayers’ Association in Preston.
August 11 Laying of Memorial Stones at Pole-street Baptist Schools.
August 18 Visit of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society to Preston, Penwortham, and Walton-le-Dale.
August 26 Introduction of weekly Fish Dinners, at Fulwood Workhouse.
August 27 28, and 29, Barry Sullivan at the Theatre Royal.
August 30 Alderman Garlick (the
August 30 and 31 Fire of haystacks at Mr. J. Strickland’s farm, in Walton.
September 2 Rev. W. J. Taylor notified his intention of resigning the pastorate of the Unitarian Chapel.
September 8 Stabbing affray in Lawson-street; Patrick McGinty killed by Anthony Henry, who afterwards mysteriously disappeared.
September 5 Canon Taylor left St.
September 6 Mr. George Whittle, farmer and horse dealer, of Preston, accidentally killed, near Penrith.
September 8 Right Hon. W. E. Gladstone, accompanied by Mr. H. Gladstone (his son), Mr. Tennyson, the poet laureate, and the Hon. and Rev. A. V. Lyttelton, halted for a short time at Preston railway station, en route to Barrow, for a tour thence (per the Castle Line steamer “Pembroke Castle”) along the west coast of Scotland, &c.
September 12 Inauguration of a movement (meeting at Red Lion hotel) for a memorial to the late Mr. E. Hermon, M.P.
January 5 Mr. Henry Bradley died, aged 72.
January 10 Sir John Holker appointed a Lord Justice of the Court of Appeal.
February 2 Right Hon. H. C. Raikes (Conservative) elected for Preston, in place of Sir John Holker.
February 17 Mr. H. Livesey, County Court official, died, aged 41.
March 28 Meeting at which it was decided to transfer Avenham Institution to new trustees, and henceforth call it the Harris Institute.
April 14 Construction of the extension tramway (owned by the Corporation) commenced.
May 6 Councillor E. Howorth died, aged 88.
May 24 Death of Sir John Holker,
June 3 Opening of a new engine shed, at Lostock Hall, belonging to the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company.
June 16 Death of Councillor W. Gerrard, aged 45.
July 3, 4, 5 Temperance Conference, and Jubilee (at Preston) of the first teetotal pledge signed by Mr. J. Livesey and six other Preston men.
July 1 First Sod cut of the Fulwood Waterworks, at at Barn’s Fold.
July 12 Mr. J. Oglethorpe (after having previously sent in his resignation) completed his term of service as chief constable of Preston.
July 13 Captain Little entered upon his duties as the successor of Mr. Oglethorpe.
July 27 Death of Mr. T. Grime, aged 71.
September 1 Jubilee of First Temperance Pledge, signed at Preston, nationally celebrated at the Crystal Palace.
September 4 to 9 Celebratlon of the Guild.
September 4 Public Hall at Corn Exchange, and organ therein, opened. Tramway between bottom of Fishergate-hill and the Pleasure Gardens, Ribbleton, opened.
September 5 Foundation Stone of the Harris Free Library and Museum laid, by Lord Lathom.
September 14 New County Offices and Magistrates’ Sessions Hall formally opened.
September 15 Opening of the West Lancashire (Southport to Preston) Railway.
September 21 Presentation to Mr. Oglethorpe, late chief constable.
September 27 Opening of the Rodgett Infirmary (Royal Albert Asylum, Lancaster); cost of building defrayed by Edward Rodgett, Esq., of Darwen Bank, near Preston, and furniture given by Mrs. Rodgett and other subscribers. Subsequently, annual meeting of Royal Albert Asylum, held at Preston, and subscription portrait of Lord Winmarleigh (chairman of central committee) presented to the Asylum, by Lord Lathom.
September 30 Avenham Institution transferred to the “Harris Institute” trustees.
October 26 Corporation expressed, by resolution, their willingness to buy “the entire undertaking” of the Ribble Navigation Company, including farm at Freckleton, for £72,500 – £2,500 less than the Company offered to sell the same for. The Company subsequently decided to accept this offer.
November 9 Sir John Coode inspected the Ribble. (His plan, suggesting improvements at an estimated cost of £558,150, was adopted, at a special meeting of the Town Council, on December 13.
November 23 Election on the resignation of Right Hon. H. C. Raikes.
December 8 Reported Robbery of £500 worth of rings from the shop of Mr. T. Yates, watchmaker, &c., Friargate.
December 20 Mr. R. W. Hanbury elected president of Preston Conservative Working Men’s Club.
December 21 Special Ordination in Preston Parish Church, by the Bishop of Manchester.
December 28 Opening of Tramway between Preston and Ashton-on-Ribble.
January 8 Mr. Maynard’s Dale-street cotton factory burnt down; damages £24,000.
June [January?] 27 Alderman J. J. Myres died, aged 69.
April 9 Dissolution of Preston Agricultural Society.
May 6 Mr. E. Hermon, M.P. for Preston, died at his London residence, 17, Berkeley-square, aged 61 years.
May 20 Mr. W. F. Ecroyd (Conservative) elected M.P. for Preston in place of Mr. Hermon.
July 5 Terrific Thunderstorm in Preston and district.
July 2 Foundation Stone of new Catholic Club and School laid at Brownedge.
August 3 Murder of Annie Ratcliffe (16) by John Aspinall Simpson (21), at the Sir Walter Scott Inn, North-road; Simpson was found guilty at the Manchester Assizes, and was hanged on November 28th.
September 6 Strike and Riotous proceedings at Messrs. John Hawkins and Sons’ mills.
September 10 Great Military Review on the Marsh.
October 8 Corporation Astronomical Observatory opened.
October 11 Walton-le-Dale Working Men’s Institute opened,
November 1 Change in the area and names of municipal wards.
December 27 Mr. Joseph Ware died, aged 60.
January 15 Railway Collision at Burscough junction; 7 persons killed and 30 injured.
March 31 Parliamentary Election,
April 2 Fire at Messrs. Paley’s Bank Top Mill, London-road; damages, £6,000.
April 13 Mr, W. Harding, livery stable proprietor, died, aged 70.
April 25 Re-opening of St. Wilfrid’s Church, after being internally re-constructed.
June 11 First Telephonic line completed at Preston.
July 2 Dr. L. W. Spencer died, aged 29.
July 17 New Co-operative Stores and Hall opened at Longridge.
July 18 Preston new Central Railway Station opened.
October 16 Foundation Stone of St. Mathew’s Church, Ribbleton-lane, laid.
October 21 Fire at Messrs. Quin and Co’s India Rubber Works, Leyland; damages, £10,000.
November 14 Flood at Preston and district.
January 1 Free Library and News-room opened at the Town Hall,
January 22 Mesers. J. Eccles and Co’s mill, at Ashton, burnt down; damages, £30,000.
January 25 “British Workman” opened, at Ashton.
February 3 J. R. de Trafford, Esq., Croston Hall, died, aged 59.
February 11 Four persons drowned at Tarleton.
February 26 Fire at Messrs. Horrocks and Jacson’s mill, Bolton’s-court; damages, £32,000. Feb. 27, Opening of Industrial Home for Fallen Women, at Ashton.
March 20 Tramway line between Preston and Fulwood opened.
March 30 Secession of the Rev. H. J. Martyn, minister of Cannon-street Independent Chapel, to the Church of England.
May 9 Fire and Explosion at the Gasworks, Walker-street; one man killed.
May 31 Foresters’ Hall, Great Shawe-street, opened.
June 15 Alderman R. G. Watson, solicitor, died, aged 62. North of England Railway Carriage and Iron Company closed.
July 15 Failure of the Western District Bank branch at Preston.
July 22 Mr. Thomas Heys’ corn mill (Parr Croft), off North-road, burnt; damages, £8,000.
August 11 Robert Townley Parker, Esq., Cuerden Hall, died, aged 86.
August 24 Foundation Stone of new Catholic Church, at Walton-le-Dale, laid.
October 10 W. O. Pilkington, Esq., Ashton, died, aged 93; Mrs. Pilkington, his wife, died the previous day, aged 63; both interred on the same day, in Ashton Churchyard,
November 18 Key stone put in of No. 1 arch in connection with the widening of the North Union Railway bridge.
December 8th Mr. Gladstone, on his way from Midlothian, halted at Preston station, and delivered a speech.
December 18th Law Students’ Society formed.
December 26 Messrs. Holden and Westhall’s mill, Catlow-street, burnt down; two firemen injured.
January 6 Christopher B. Walker, solicitor, died, aged 87.
March 19 Monsignor Cookson, of Fernyhalgh, died, aged 75.
May 1 Conservative Club building, Guildhall-street, opened by the Right Hon. (now Sir) R. A. Cross, then Home Secretary.
May 2 Mr. John Ribchester’s cabinet works, Moor-lane, destroyed by fire.
May 3 Lieut.-Colonel Birchall, of Ribbleton Hall, died, aged 69.
May 4 Conservative Working Men’s Club opened.
May 9 Lock-out in the Cotton trade commenced throughout North and North-east Lancashire.
May 17 Cotton Operatives’ Riot in Preston; Riot Act read by the Mayor; military called out; several policemen injured; breakage of factory windows, &c.
June 7 Rioters committed to Sessions for trial,
June 7 Relief Committee’s report in connection with lock-out showed that 7,000 persons were in receipt of daily relief,
June 14 10,056 persons relieved,
June 14 Two more rioters committed to Lancaster Assizes for trial.
June 19 First Coffee Tavern opened, in Friargate, by Alderman Satterthwaite, Mayor.
June 19 End of strike and lock-out. Mr. Henry Hamer appointed town clerk, and Mr. Hudson Reah borough surveyor.
July 10-18 Show of Royal Horticultural Society, in Pleasure Gardens, Ribbleton.
August 21 Fire at Messrs Baines Brothers’ Britannia Works; damages £3,000.
August 26 Fire at Mr. Parkinson’s oil shop, Church-street; damages, £1,000.
September 4 Children’s Day Nursery opened, in Leeming-street.
October 17 Alderman Joseph Woods died, aged 59.
November 30 Fire at Messrs. Rawsthorne and Monk’s factory, Stanley-street; damages, £12,500.
January 6 Foundation Stone of the Conservative Club, in Guildhall-street, laid.
February 18 Rev. John Owen Parr, vicar of Preston for 37 years, died, aged 78.
February 16 Gas Company’s Offices, Fishergate, opened.
February 20 Mr. R. C. Richards, Clifton Lodge, died, aged 67.
March 3 Mr. T. S. Shuttleworth, Clerk of the Crown for the county of Lancaster, died, aged 77.
March 7 Rev. Father W. Cobb (for many years principal priest at St. Wilfrid’s, Preston), died at Accrington, aged 73; interred at Stonyhurst College.
March 31 Foundation Stones laid of new Wesleyan Chapel, at Bamber Bridge; building opened March 14, 1878
May 12 Preston Nursery and Pleasure Gardens opened.
May 27 Edmund R. Harris, Esq., prothonotary, &c., for Lancashire, died, aged 78.
July 12 Institution of the Rev. James Hamer Rawdon, as vicar of Preston.
October 8 David Longworth, proprietor of “Longworth’s Advertiser,” died, aged 56.
October 16 New Congregational Church, at Leyland, opened.
October 27 Reform Club, Fishergate, opened.
November 6 Double Railway Collision at Euxton; several persons injured.
May 29 Corner Stone of Ebenezer Independent Chapel, Leyland, laid.
June 2 Skating Rink at Preston opened.
June 15 Mr. W. J. Plant, solicitor, died, aged 53.
August 27 Foundation Stone of a new Catholic Church, at Catforth, laid; building opened July 29, 1877.
October 23 Mr. John Pilkington, surgeon, died, aged 64.
October 27 Alderman W. Hayhurst died, aged 48.
November 9 Appointment of the first School Attendance Committee.
November 14 Mr. Robert Ascroff, for 23 years town clerk of Preston, died, aged 71.
November 25 Fire at the Moorbrook Spinning Co’s Factory, Moor-lane; damages, £20,000.
November 27 Harris Infectious Wards, at Preston Infirmary, opened.
December 2 Sir Henry de Hoghton, bart., died, aged 55.
February 24 Mr. Joseph Dearden died, aged 64.
March 31 Fire at Mr. James Mc Neil’s, tailor, Church-street; three of his sons lost their lives.
June 8 Mark Fiddler murdered his wife, Dorothy Fiddler, in Bleasdale-street: was executed at Lancaster Castle, August 16.
June 22 Fire at Messrs. Emery and Dyson’s weaving shed, New Hall-lane; damages £10,000.
August 9 Exhibition of Works of Art and Industry opened, at the Exchange; closed 4th December following.
August 10, 11, 12 Royal Manchester, Liverpool, and North Lancashire Agricultural Show held in Moor Park.
August 12 Fire at Messrs. Simpson and Philip’s Park-lane Mill; damages, £30,000; two lives lost.
August 20 Gregson-lane Mill, belonging to Messrs. Simpson and Jackson, burnt down; damages, £25,000; one person killed and two injured.
September 18 Foundation Stone of New Wesleyan Chapel, at Leyland, laid.
November 1 Messrs. Paul Catterall Sons and Co’s mill, Rigby-street, burnt down; damages, £30,000.
December 22 Mary Christopher poisoned herself and three children, through the sudden death of her husband, at Bispham.
December 29 Messrs. Paley and Sons’ Bank Top Mill, Salmon-street, burnt down; damages, £25,000. Covered Market, in the Orchard, completed during this year.
February 2 Catholic Men’s Club, Friargate, opened.
February 3 Parliamentary Election.
February 16 Fire at Messrs. W. Seed and Sons’ spinning mill, Derby-street; damages, £2,000.
February 20 Collision near Euxton Junction; limited mail dashed into & standing coal train; driver and stoker of mail killed, and many passengers injured.
February 28 John Caton kicked to death by Jane Waterhouse, in Crown-street; sentenced to death, at Lancaster Assizes, March 10, and reprieved
April 23 Sir John Holker re-elected (without opposition) M.P. for Preston, on being made Solicitor-General.
June 6 Mr. Thomas Batty Addison, recorder of Preston, died, aged 87; interred at Balderstone Church, June 11.
June 24 St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Ribbleton-lane, opened.
June 25 First appointment of Medical Officer of Health for the borough,
July 29 Alderman John Rawcliffe died, aged 61.
Aug-12 Alderman Joseph Isherwood died, aged 60.
September 10 Blind Institute, Glover’s Court, opened.
October 6 Mr. T. Langton Birley, Carr Hill, Kirkham, died, aged 63.
October 16 Fire at Messrs. Threlfall’s, Shelley-road Mill.
November 3 Alderman Samuel Smith died, aged 75.
November 3 Last public pump (in Fishergate) removed.
November 28 Mr. Thackeray, superintendent registrar for Preston Union, and for many years clerk to the Guardians, died, aged 86.
December 23 Death of Sir George Strickland.
January 8 Fire at Messrs, Paley and Sons’ Bank Top Mill; damages, £10,000.
February 24 Death of Lady Dowager Shelley, aged 85.
April 11 Foundation stone of New Wesleyan Chapel, Marsh-lane, laid.
June 3 Derby Memorial Statue, in Miller Park, unveiled by Colonel Wilson Patten.
June 17 Fire at Messrs. Birley Brothers’ mill, Kent-street; damages, £3,000; Isabella Smith, an operative, suffocated. Work commenced in connection with the construction of Preston new Central Railway Station.
September 28 Canon J. Walker died, aged 52.
September 29 Re-establishment of the Leguleian Society.
October 13 Alderman John Goodair, of Preston, died, aged 65, from injuries received through being knocked down by a horse and vehicle, in Manchester.
October 27 Attempt to burn an oil warehouse, in Tenterfield-street-James Woodhall, the tenant, apprehended on the charge; found guilty at Salford Hundred Assizes, December 6, and sentenced to five years’ imprisonment.
November 11 Mr. J. Armytage, borough surveyor, died,
December 3 Fire at Messrs. Simpson and Philips’ Park-lane Mills; damages £10,000.
December 14 Alderman Miles Myres died, aged 65.
January 20 Death of Mr. William Shawe, aged 90.
May 1 Alderman Dr. Spencer died, aged 60.
May 9 Mr. J. Dunn, chief constable, died.
May 18 Foundation stone of Library &c., for Fishwick Ward, laid.
May 28 Grimshaw-street Mill burnt down; damages, £15,000.
May 30 Contract for Covered Market having been given up by Mr. J. Clayton, of Preston, and then taken and given up by Messrs. P. B. Bennett and Co., of Birmingham, was re-let, for completion of the work, to Messrs. W. Allsup and Sons, Preston.
July 24 Terrific thunderstorm and great flood.
August 20 Sir T. G. Fermor Hesketh, bart., M.P. for Preston, died, aged 47.
August 29 Death of Mr. Joseph Gillow, aged 71.
September 7 Savings Bark new building opened.
September 13 Mr. John Holker, Q.C., elected M.P., for Preston, in place of Sir T. G. Fermor Hesketh, deceased.
October 14 Foundation stone of Gas Company’s Offices, in Fishergate, laid.
October 16 Presentation to Major and Mrs. German, by the Liberals of Preston.
October 24 Death of Mr. John Houlker, solicitor, aged 70 years. First steam fire engine purchased for the town.
[no date] Mr. R. Threlfall’s “Bloomfield” Mill burnt down; damages £30,000.
March 15 Fire at Messrs. Simpson and Co’s Park-lane Mills, North-road; damages, £3,000.
March 17 Earthquake felt.
April 8 Death of Mr. W. Bashall, aged 76.
May-08 Great fire at Preston Waggon Works, damages, £7,000.
May 29 Mrs. Gardner murdered by her son, at Great Eccleston.
August 4 Corner stone of St. Joseph’s Orphanage laid.
October 2 Death of Mr. Philip Park, aged 77.
October 2 Mr. Thomas Prescot died, aged 72.
January 1 Infirmary opened.
February 16 Contract for construction of Covered Market entered into by Mr. Joseph Clayton.
February 26 Public Wash-houses closed. Preston Agricultural Society established.
May 23 Emmanuel Church opened.
May 31 New Post Office, in Fishergate, opened.
June 18 Foundation Stone of New Wesleyan Chapel, at Ashton, laid.
August 5 Cutting of the first sod in connection with the Preston Waterworks extension scheme, on Elmridge farm, near Chipping.
August 6 Roof of New Covered Market (in course of construction) fell.
September 29 New Public Swimming Bath opened.
November 26 Foundation stone of Chapel of Ease to St. Thomas’s in Kent-street, laid by Mr. E. Hermon, M.P.
December 5 Garstang and Knott End Railway opened.
December 14 Fire at Mr. Matthew Kennedy’s mill; damages, £30,000
March 14 Earthquake felt.
April 9 Cotton operatives’ strike commenced; terminating on May 14th as to weavers and-in September as to spinners.
October 14 Meeting to form an Agricultural Society for Preston.
April 18 Foundation stone of Emmanuel Church laid, by Sir T. G. Fermor Hesketh, bart., M.P.
May 3 Stoppage of Roskell, Arrowsmith, and Kendal’s bank, at Preston.
May 21 Return of Dr. Monk to Preston.
June 1 First Hansom cab put upon the streets at Preston.
June 3 Riot between English and Irish.
July 22 Tragedy at Drumhead, between Walton-le-Dale and Brindle; Charles Hamer killed his sweetheart, Elizabeth Brindle, and then committed suicide.
August 21 Fire at Mr. William Dawson’s Aqueduct-street Mill; damages, £10,000. Literary and Philosophical Society’s buildings purchased by the Corporation,
October 29 St. James’s Church opened (after being rebuilt).
November 16 Alderman George Smith died, aged 70.
November 18 Parliamentary election.
December 5 Robert Caton murdered his wife, Ann Caton, at 11, Gardner-street.
December 7 Mr. John Bairstow, died, aged 90.
December 29 New Workhouse opened, by Mr. T. B. Addison.
March 15 Mr. John Gornall, of Preston, died, in the 99th Year of his age.
March 21 Mr. Charles Pascoe Grenfell, late M P. for Preston, died, aged 76.
May 23 Croston Church reopened, after restoration, at a cost of £2,500.
July 1 Ven. Archdeacon R. M. Master, rector of Croston died aged 73.
July 3 Messrs. Bashall and Co’s mill, Farington burnt down; damages, £70,000.
July 6 Mr. Michael Satterthwaite died, aged 82.
July 20 Fire at Messrs. G. W. Napier and Co’s Wellington Mills; damages, £10,000. Conservative Club opened, in Lord-street, during this month.
August 10 Fearful Accident on the Longridge Railway; 70 persons injured.
October 3 Opening of the New Town Hall and Avenham and Miller Parks, by the Duke of Cambridge.
October 4 Opening of Moor Park, by Alderman E. Birley, the Mayor.
October 24 Cattle Market opened.
November 11 Midge Hall Wesleyan Chapel opened.
January 2 Death of Captain Eastham, aged 86.
January 6 Death of “Old Betty” Redhead, aged 91.
January 7 Death of Mr. Peter Whittle, author of the History of Preston, &c. aged 76.
February 8 Fire at Mr. Goodair’s Brunswiok Mill; damages, £4,000.
March 20 Fall of a portion of Sir. Henry Seed’s cotton mill, Ribbleton-lane; one man killed; damage to property, £3,000.
April 2 Cutting of first sod of Preston Infirmary, by Mr. C. R. Jacson.
April 12 Death of Sir Peter Hesketh-Fleetvvood, bart. Death of Mr. George Ward, “father” of the Independent Order of Oddfellows, M U. aged 77.
April 27 Death of Mr. Charles Swainson, aged 86.
May 21 Foundation Stone of Church of the English Martyrs laid.
June 4 Murder of Ann Gilligan, by John Banks in Turk’s Head Yard, reprieved August 6.
July 9 Stoppage of Preston Iron Shipbuilding Company.
July 14 Foundation stone of Preston Infirmary laid, by Mr. C. B. Jacson,
July 19 Temporary stoppage of Preston Bank.
August 25 Death of Alderman Robert Parker, aged 47.
October 28 George Osbaldeston fatally stabbed by his wife, in Crown-street.
November 15 and 26 Great floods at Preston and district.
November 26 Corner stone of St. Saviour’s Church laid, by Mr. R. Newsham.
December 12 Mr. Sharrock s mill, Gregson-lane, burnt down, damages, £12,000. A Club for Liberals was opened this year, in Church-street.
January 30 Stephen Burke, murdered his wife, in Brunswick-street, and was executed, March 25, at Lancaster Castle.
April 17 Lytham Pier opened.
April 21 Fire at Messrs. Reade and Wall’s cotton factory, Church-street; damages, between £2,000 and £3,000.
May 13 Termination of the labours of the Relief Committee.
May 21 Fearful thunder and rain storm.
June 19 Death of Mr. C. St. Clare, aged 79.
June 24 Death of Alderman T. Miller, aged 55.
July 11 Parliamentary Election.
July 25 Foundation Stone of New Workhouse, for Preston Union, laid, by Mr. T. B. Addison,
August 3 Death of Mr. John Fisher, aged 74.
August 7 Longridge New Congregational Chapel opened.
September 9 Serious Railway Collision at Hoghton; great damage to rolling stock.
September 21 Exhibition of Fine Arts, Curiosities, &c., opened at the Exchange; closed 7th December following.
September 21 Death of Mr. Lawrence Dobson, aged 72.
November 19 Death of Mr. David Nuttall, aged 90.
November 23 Fire at Messrs. Horrockses, Miller, and Co.’s Mill, New Hall-lane; damages, over £5,000.
February 2 Funeral of the Rev. W. P. Jones, of St. Thomas’s Church, and Mrs. Jones, his wife.
March 25 Foundation stone of new Independent Chapel, at Longridge, laid.
June 8 First pile of Lytham Pier screwed.
June 23 Launch on the Ribble of the “Night Hawk” – destroyed by Federals,
September 28 1864. All Saints’ Church, Higher Walton, consecrated.
August 30 Mrs. Winlaw, wife of the Rev. W. Winlaw, of St, Luke’s Church, accidentally killed at Berwick.
August 28 Foundation stone of new Catholic Chapel, at Euxton laid.
September 13 William Barry murdered his wife, at 29, Ormskirk-road. Establishment of the North of England Railway Carriage and Iron Company.
December 20 Isaac Wilcockson, of Preston, died, aged 82.
April 6 Opening of the coast line between Lytham and Blackpool.
April 21 Discontent amongst labourers employed by the Poor Law Guardians; a riot threatened; military called out.
June 7 Orphan School opened.
September 22 Consecration of St. Mark’s Church.
October 10 Death of the Rev. W. Walling, incumbent of All Saints’ Church.
November 4 and 5 Great floods at Preston and district.
December 15 Boat accident on the Ribble; five persons drowned.
December 17 Opening of the Preston Central Working Men’s Club, in Lord-street.
January 6 Death of the Rev. Robert Harris, in the 98th year of his age.
January 27 First meeting of the Preston Relief Committee.
March 22 death of Mr. Wm. Ainsworth.
April 18 Bombadier Ashley killed at Warton battery.
April 25 Foundation Stone of St. Mark’s Church laid.
June 26 Orchard Chapel, and Wesleyan Chapel, Moor Park, opened.
July 19 Sir Henry de Hoghton, bart., of Hoghton Tower, died at Anglesey, near Gosport.
July 31 Boat accident near the Guide’s House, Warton; eight persons drowned. Branch of Manchester and County Bank opened in the “Old Bank” premises.
September 1 to 6 Guild Celebration.
September 2 Foundation Stone of New Town Hall laid.
September 10 Ann Walne murdered, near Ribchester.
February 7 Fire at Messrs. John Hawkins and Sons’ Green Bank Mills; £25,000 damages.
February 19 Serious explosion and fire at Walker-street Gas Works,
March 21 Edward Pedder, Esq., died, aged 50.
April 10 Stoppage of Pedder’s Old Bank.
May 21 Mr. Chas. Robinson, of Preston, drowned in Windermere Lake.
May 30 Fulwood Church (a transformed Methodist Church) opened.
September 11 Colonel Crofton and Adjutant Hanham shot, at Fulwood Barracks, by Private McCaffery, who was executed at Kirkdale on the 11th of January, 1862.
November 6 Mr. Wm. Paley, junr., accidentally killed, in Friargate, by the upsetting of a carriage.
January 10 Demolition of the Old Factory, Moor-lane. Establishment of Cheese and Wool Fairs. Pig Market established in St. John-street.
January 16 Formation of a School of Art.
February 9 Corporation decided to purchase the Grammar School.
March 9 Messrs. J. and J. Haslam’s mill, Parker-street, destroyed by fire.
March 21 Fire at Mr. T. B. Dick’s, grocer, Market-place – Quentin Dick, son, and Elizabeth Billington, servant, lost their lives.
April 9 Spinners and Minders’ Institute, Church-street, opened.
October 4 Enrolment of first batch of Artillery Volunteers.
May 2 ‘Bus began to run between Preston and Fulwood.
May 30 Meeting to promote the Volunteer movement.
July 14 Death of Mr. John Addison, County Court Judge, aged 68. Exhibition of Fine Arts. St. Luke’s Church opened.
August 9 Election petition against the return of Mr. C. P. Grenfell unsuccessful.
October 11 Inspection of troops, at Fulwood Barracks, by the Duke of Cambridge.
October 29 First enrolment of Rifle Volunteers under the new movement.
October 29 Mr. W. Eccles’ mill, Withy Trees, Bamber Bridge, destroyed by fire.
December 6 Presentation to Mr. C. P. Grenfell.
December 8 New Congregational Chapel, Grimshaw-street, opened. Waggon-running on the old Tramway ceased.
1858 Magistrates’ Court and Police Station, Lancaster-road, opened. Disturbance among pauper labourers. Dr. Monk sentenced to penal servitude for life (Lancaster Assizes, February 18) for forging the will of Edward Turner. Operative Weavers’ Association established. Death of Alderman Robert Brown and the Rev. John Clay. Baptist Chapel, Fishergate, opened.
1857 New Building, for branch of Lancaster Bank, opened in Fishergate. Boat Accident, on the Ribble, five lives lost, September 21. Cotton Mill, at Samlesbury, totally destroyed by fire, May 2. Mr. John Paley died, aged 59, July 11. First sod of Preston Water Works, in Dilworth, cut, July 28. Free Gospel Chapel, Ashmoor-street, opened, August 9. Dr. Monk brought up at the Police Court on a charge of forgery, December 24.
1856 Great Festival, May 29, in commemoration of the restoration of peace. St. Mary’s Catholic Chapel, Friargate-brow, re-built. Messrs. J. W. Dall and Son’s cotton mill, Samlesbury, burnt down, January 28; damage £24,000. Mr. John Wood, formerly M.P. for Preston, died, aged 69, October 10. Temperance Hall opened, July 5. Felice Orsini lectured in Preston, November 10.
1855 Cemetery opened. Ancient buildings, in the Market-place, taken down. Discovery of Roman remains, on Walton “flats.” Parish Church having been rebuilt, was re-opened, June 21. Third Royal Lancashire Militia departed for Gibraltar, June 29. Collision in the Ribble between the “Lively” and the “Jenny Lind;” four lives lost, August 26.
1854 Termination of the lock-out of operatives (May 2). Militia Storehouse built. St. Walburge’s Catholic Church opened. New Post Office, in Lancaster-road, opened. Telegraph introduced. Exhibition of Fine Arts, at Avenham Institution. Explosion on the steamboat “Victoria,” in the Ribble; five lives lost and several persons injured (July 23). Trial trip of the “Dandy,” first screw steamboat on the Preston and Lancaster Canal (December 19).
1853 Parish Church taken down and rebuilt; work completed in 1855. Zoar Baptist Chapel, Regent-street, built. Commencement (October 18) of strikes of factory operatives, resulting in the “great lock out.” Fish stones removed. Queen lunched at the railway station. Waterworks purchased, from the old company, by the Corporation. Obelisk, in the Market Place, removed.
1852 Statue of Sir Robert Peel, in Winckley-square, unveiled. Mr. G. Smith’s mill blown down. Fire Brigade Station erected. Queen lunched at railway station. Death of Mr. R. Palmer, town clerk. Principal paving and sewering works of the borough commenced, and completed, as a system, about 1857.
1851 Baths and Washhouses opened, in Saul-street. Exhibition of pictures and statuary, at Avenham Institution.
1850 Public Health Act introduced. First Stone of St. Walburge’s Catholic Church, Maudlands, laid.
1849 Railway to Liverpool (via Ormskirk) opened. Institution for the Diffusion of Knowledge opened at Avenham. Death of Andrew Kinloch, the loomist, at Preston. Murder of Edward Lathom. Serious accident and fire at the “Big Factory;” two lives lost.
1848 All Saints’ Church first ministerially occupied, but not consecrated till 1856. Overseers’ Buildings, Lancaster-road, built. Boiler explosion, at Brunswick mill, seven lives lost (August 31). Destruction of Ribble Brook mill by fire. Mill Hill Ragged School built. Collision between soldiers of the 39th regiment and policemen, during the races on the Holme. Steam first used on the Longridge Railway. Boiler explosion at Sovereign Mill, seven lives lost (June 17).
1847 Queen Victoria landed at Fleetwood, from Ireland, and passed through Preston station. Clayton and Wilson’s Bank failed.
1846 Preston and Blackburn Railway, and junctions to Lytham and Blackpool, opened. Ribble Branch Railway finished. Railway communication between Preston and Kendal established. Foundation stone of the Institution, Avenham, laid, Avenham Walk extended, Literary and Philosophical Society’s new premises, corner of Cross-street, opened. All Saints’ Church erected. Winckley Club opened. Fire at Hibbert’s size house; Pickles lost his life. Royal North Lancashire Agricultural Society established at Preston.
1845 Victoria warehouses, on the Quay, erected. Great Free Trade Demonstration; Cobden and Bright spoke (Nov. 19). W. Gilbertson, celebrated local geologist, died.
1844 New Jerusalem Chapel, Avenham-road, opened. Preston Bank established; new building opened in 1856, Commercial School, Knowsley-street, built.
1843 Richard Arkwright, only son of Sir Richard Arkwright, died at Willersley. Shock of earthquake felt. Preston made an independent port. First stone of New Quay laid. Fulwood Barracks commenced; work finished in 1848.
1842 Guild Celebration. Death of Mr. S. Horrocks, senr. Savings Bank, Lune-street, erected. Serious disturbances; rioters shot, in Lune-street, by the 72nd Highlanders. Horse races on the Holme (Guild week); and afterwards held annually there from 1845 to 1848 inclusive. £2,000 stolen, at Preston, from Mr. J. Marquis, of Accrington.
1841 St. James’s, originally a Dissenting place of worship, consecrated as a Church; (its reconstruction was commenced in 1870; edifice completed in 1881). Grammar School, Cross-street, erected. Railway communication between Bolton and Preston established. General election. Society of Arts and Literary and Philosophical Society coalesced.
1840 Railway arch, Water-lane, fell; two men killed. Preston and Lancaster, Longridge, and Wyre Railways opened. St. Augustine’s Catholic Church opened. Establishment of Literary and Philosophical Society. Great find of ancient coins, in Cuerdale. Exhibition held.
1889 St. Thomas’s Church opened. Great Hurricane. Miss Lowe killed, in Charles-street. Preston made a port under Fleetwood. Death of R. Carus Wilson, vicar of the Parish Church.
1838 Coronation of Queen Victoria; number of school children who walked in procession, at Preston, 8,356. North Union Railway opened. St. Mary’s Church opened. Wesley Chapel, North-road, built. Incorporation of the Ribble Navigation Company. Death of Mr. Nicholas Grimshaw.
1837 First election of Poor Law Guardians, under Poor Law Amendment Act, January 26th. First stone of St. Thomas’s Church laid. General Election; one day’s polling first introduced; rioting; military called out.
1836 First Mayor elected under the Municipal Reform Act (January 1). Christ Church consecrated. St. Andrew’s Church, Ashton, built. West End Shambles (Fishergate) erected, Strike of spinners began November 5; terminated February 5, 1837. St. Ignatius’s Church opened. Borough bench re-constituted, under the Reform Act.
1835 First election (December 31) under the Municipal Reform Act. Almshouses, Deepdale-road, taken down. Death of H. Hunt. Earl of Derby’s residence (Patten House), in Church-street, pulled down. Dr. D. Lardner lectured, in the Corn Exchange, on practical mechanics. Commencement of North Union Railway between Preston and Wigan (April 25). Earthquake felt.
1834 Preston Society of Arts formed. Moor Park enclosed. Preston Law Society established. Launch on the Ribble of the “Enterprise” – the first steamboat built at Preston – May 23rd. Freedom of the borough granted to Mr. Moses Holden, astronomer, of Preston, for his services to science.
1833 New House of Recovery built. Last of the horse races, on Fulwood Moor. School, for St. George’s, in Bow-lane, erected. Baptist Chapel, Leeming-street, enlarged. Canal communication between Preston and Kendal established: packet boat “Water Witch” began sailing (July 2) daily, leaving Kendal at 6 a.m., landing at Preston at 1 p.m., returning at 1-30, and arriving at Kendal at 8-45 p.m. Presentation of plate to Mr. John Wood, M.P.
1832 Lock-up built, in Avenham-street. Water Company established. Resident Recorder appointed. First Election after Reform Act; two days polling. Establishment of Temperance Society. Cobbett lectured, in the Cock Pit, on political economy.
1831 Methodist Seceders’ Chapel erected, in the Orchard. Act of Parliament for constructing a railway between Preston and Wigan passed; first meeting of the proprietors, at which directors were appointed, was held (May 11), at the Red Lion Inn, Church-street.
1830 Cock-pit closed for fighting. Eighty-one coaches ran in and out of Preston in one day. General election; four days polling.
1829 First steamer on the Ribble. Court House, adjoining the prison, erected. Distress in the town. Mr. Humber’s mill, Moor-lane, burnt down. Dr. Spurzheim, phrenologist, gave a series of lectures, in the Theatre Royal.
1828 George IV granted a charter (the last) to the town. Mechanics’ Institution established, at 21, Cannon-street. Sir Richard Clayton (of the Claytons of Fulwood), critic and historian, died. Jane Scott, of Preston, executed at Lancaster, for the murder of her mother, by poison, at Preston: she was acquitted at the previous assizes on the charge of murdering her father. Branch of Lancaster Bank opened at Preston. Mr. Green’s balloon ascent from the rear of the Craven Heifer.
1827 Rev. Father Dunn, of St. Wilfrid’s, died. Edward Gregson murdered, in Bridge-street. Preston Union Gas Company formed; undertaking sold, in 1839, to the original Gas Company.
1826 Serious rioting; power looms destroyed. Fire at Sleddon’s factory. General Election; coalition dissolved; fifteen days polling; rioting; military called out twice. St. Paul’s Church opened. Death of Mr. W. Cross, of Red Scar. Independent Chapel, Cannon-street, opened.
1825 Countess of Huntingdon’s Chapel, Pole-street, erected.
1824 Corn Exchange opened. Preston and Blackburn new road made.
1823 Seventy-two coaches ran in and out of Preston every Wednesday. Andrew Riding, a cotton spinner, attempted to assassinate Mr. S. Horrocks, M.P.
1822 Guild Celebration. Foundation of St. Peter’s Church laid. First local Building Society established. Two sons of Mr. Nicholas Grimshaw, Mayor, and the sons (two) of Mr. H. Hulton and Mr. J. Kay, drowned, by the upsetting of a boat, near Penwortham Bridge.
1821 Commencement of flagging street footways. Strike of spinners. Bath carriages introduced. Alleged stoppage of the Ribble, at Alston ferry, for three hours.
1820 General Election; thirteen days polling; serious rioting. Meeting for the formation of the “Preston Florist Society.”
1819 Mrs. Fry, prison philanthropist, visited Preston gaol, and again in the following year.
1818 Only one letter carrier for Preston at this date. Address presented to Henry (Lord) Brougham, on his passage through the town. Hand-loom weavers’ strike.
1817 Chancel of Parish Church rebuilt. Blue-coat school amalgamated with Avenham-lane (Parish Church) National School. Wesleyan Chapel, Lune-street, opened; rebuilt, 1861.
1816 Preston first lighted with gas. Great distress through deficient harvest. A man named Arkwright pilloried in the Market-place, being the last person thus punished at Preston. Savings Bank established.
1815 Improvement Commissioners’ Act obtained. Preston Gas Company established. Trinity Church consecrated.
1814 National School, Avenham-lane, erected, St. Wilfrid’s Catholic Schools, Fox-street, and Vauxhall-road Chapel, built. Great overflow of the Ribble,
1813 House of Recovery built. Road improvement at Walton Brow commenced. Tower of Parish Church re-built, and eight new bells placed in it. Erection of Trinity Church commenced.
1811 Severe distress in the town.
1810 First Preston Agricultural Society established. Only three policemen in Preston at this time. (Two of the policemen, in 1813, were publicans – one kept the “Wool Pack,” in Back-lane, and the other the “Sun,” in Main Sprit Weind).
1809 Dispensary established. Meeting of the deputy-lieutenants of the county, at Preston, regarding Militia affairs.
1808 Independent Chapel, Grimshaw-street, opened. Serious distress amongst the inhabitants. Terrace, opposite Parish Church, formed; removed in 1828.
1807 General election; seven days polling; rioting – one man killed.
1804 Preston volunteers again reviewed by Prince William Frederick. John Horrocks died, aged 36. Formation of first company for improving the navigation of the Ribble.
1803 Prince William Frederick visited Preston and reviewed the volunteers. – Meeting at Preston to adopt measures for carrying out a plan towards the defence of the country.
1802 Political Coalition, as to return of members, established; it continued till 1826. Theatre Royal built. Guild Celebration. Tramroad bridge, over the Ribble, erected; re-built 1860.
1799 (about) First house erected in Winckley-square.
1798 Preston and Lancaster Canal opened.
1797 “Royal” and “Loyal” Preston Volunteer Corps established.
1793 St. Wilfrid’s Catholic Chapel opened.
1792 Sir Richard Arkwright died, in his 60th year.
1791 ” Yellow Factory ” – nucleus of the ” Yard Works “– erected by John Horrocks.
1790 Alms houses erected by the Corporation, on the north-east side of the town.
1789 House of Correction, bottom of Church-street, opened.
1788 New Workhouse built, on Preston Moor.
1787 Leguelian Society established, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, in Back-lane, opened.
1786 “The Terrace,” in Fishergate, commenced; completed in 1800; and removed about 1840.
1784 Friends’ Meeting House erected. Re-built about 1797, and again re-built in 1847.
1783 Baptist Chapel, Leeming-street, built.
1782 New Town Hall opened. Guild Celebration. Obelisk, in the Market-place, taken down, and re-built in the following year. Death of John Smalley, of Preston, the friend of Arkwright.
1780 Town Hall fell.
1779-81 Walton bridge built.
1777 First Preston cotton mill built, in Moor-lane. Dr. Gradwell, Roman Catholic bishop and writer, born at Clifton, near Kirkham.
1776 The “Old Bank” opened.
1775 Arkwright’s second patent taken out.
1774 George Leo Haydock, biblical annotator, born at Taghouse, near Woodplumpton. Edward Baines, historian, &c., born at Walton-le-Dale. Ribble reported to have stood still for several hours.
1772 First place of worship for Preston Independents opened in Back-lane.
1771 Stage coach commenced running between Preston, Wigan, and Warrington. Dr. Benjamin Franklin visited Preston: he again visited the town in 1775.
1770 Body of the Parish Church rebuilt.
1769 Arkwright’s first patent for spinning machinery obtained.
1768 The “Great Election.” Universal suffrage first adopted. Sir Henry Hoghton and General Burgoyne declared duly elected. Dreadful rioting during the election. Arkwright, with Kay’s assistance, set up his first spinning machine, at Preston.
1766 William Whittle executed, on Lancaster Moor, for the murder of his wife and two children, at Farington.
1765 John Wesley passed through Preston: he visited Preston in 1780, and preached here in 1781, 1784, and 1790.
1762 Guild celebration. Guild Hall opened.
1761 St. Mary’s Catholic Chapel, Friargate-brow, erected. Dr. Shepherd died.
1759 Penwortham bridge rebuilt. Ann Cutler—”Praying Nanny “born at Thornley, near Longridge.
1758 Dr. Clayton, Roman Catholic Bishop of Clogher, author, &., died. He was born at Fulwood.
1756 Packhorses used between Lancaster, Preston, and Liverpool.
1755 Penwortham bridge, across the Ribble, opened.
1745 Jacobite Rebellion. Prince Charles Edward Stuart passed through Preston, on November 27, going south, and returned through the town, 15 days afterwards, in his retreat north. Goosnargh Hospital founded.
1742 Guild celebration. Dr. Sharrock, Catholic Bishop, born at Preston.
1741 First Preston newspaper, the “Journal,” established.
1738 Rishton’s charity founded.
1732 Richard Arkwright born at Preston.
1731 Catholic Charitable Society established.
1729 “Folly” Waterworks scheme agreed upon: construction of the works afterwards proceeded with.
1728 Earliest pictorial view of Preston published.
1726 Corporation decided to buy no more bulls for baiting. Races held on Preston Moor annually from this date till 1833. St. George’s Church consecrated. Samuel Peploe, vicar of Preston, consecrated Bishop of Chester.
1724 Fire engine first introduced.
1722 Guild celebration.
1717 Unitarian Chapel, of Church-street, built.
1716 Twelve rebels executed on Gallows hill; four rebel officers having previously (end of 1715) been executed in the town.
1715 Jacobite Rebellion. Siege of the town. Surrender (November 14) of the Rebels to General Wills. River Ribble stood still, and became dry in many parts, for five hours. Shambles (south end of Lancaster-road) erected.
1714 Proclamation made, at the Market cross, for enforcing penal laws against Popish recusants.
1707 Cadley School built.
1704 Petition from the Mayor of Preston to Parliament against the exportation of Irish linens to the plantations and of Scotch linens to Ireland.
1702 Guild celebration. Bequest made for the foundation of the Bluecoat School.
1701 Establishment of the Mock Corporation of Walton-le-Dale. It continued in existence for about 100 years.
1699 Four public lamps ordered to be fixed in the town.
1690 Preston first lighted with oil lamps.
1687 Congratulatory deputation sent by the Corporation to James II, at Chester. Great confirmation of Catholics, by Bishop Leyburne, at Tulketh Hall.
1684 Another Charter granted by Charles II. Judge Jeffries entertained by the Corporation.
1682 Guild Celébration.
1674 First Workhouse established, near Avenham-lane.
1678 Charter granted by Charles II.
1672 Rev. Hugh Tootel, Catholic theological writer, born at Durton, near Preston.
1666 Grammar School erected, at bottom of Stoneygate.
1663-4 Isaac Ambrose died at Preston. Worthington’s almshouses founded, on the south side of Fishergate.
1662 Guild celebration. Sedan chairs first introduced. An early or uniform closing system established by local tradesmen.
1661 “All the inhabitants” of the borough declared, by the House of Commons, to have a right to votes at Parliamentary elections.
1660 Population of the town supposed to have been between 5,000 and 6,000.
1657 George Fox, founder of the Society of Friends, passed through Preston; also in 1660, and 1675.
1654 Draw well ordered, by the Corporation, to be made-the first mentioned-at the bottom of the Market-place.
1651 (August 24) Royalists pursued north, across the Ribble bridge, by Colonel Lilburne, the Parliamentarian.
1650 Earl of Derby landed at the mouth of the river Wyre with 300 troops, and raised 600 cavalry for the King at Preston.
1649 Charles II passed through Preston on his way from Scotland. He was proclaimed King in the town.
1648 (Aug. 17) Great fight between Royalists (under the Duke of Hamilton) and Parliamentarians (under Cromwell) from Ribbleton Moor, through Preston, and across the Ribble and the Darwen. Royalists severely defeated.
1644 Prince Rupert visited the town, and ordered the Mayor and bailiffs to be imprisoned, in Skipton Castle, for their attachment to the Parliamentary cause.
1643 (Feb. 10) Siege and capture of Preston by Parliamentary forces. Adam Morte and his son killed. Hoghton Tower stormed. Preston re-taken (in March) by Royalists, under Lord Derby.
1642 Guild celebration. Commencement of civil war; great meeting of royalists, on Preston Moor. – Adam Morte refused to be Mayor, after being elected.
1629 Second frame-fronted building, on the north side of the Town Hall, erected.
1625 John Preston, author, and chaplain to Charles I, born at Preston, Banister’s charity founded.
1623 Castle Inn, Market Place, built.
1622 Guild Celebration.
1620 Dr. Kuerden, historian, born at Cuerden.
1618 First of the ornamental, frame-fronted houses, on the north side of the Town Hall, erected.
1617 James I visited Preston, Hoghton Tower, &c.
1607 Rectory of Preston granted to Sir Gilbert Hoghton, of Hoghton Tower, by King James I.
1605 Roman Catholic Chapel opened, in Chapel Yard, Friargate (first since the Reformation). Fish stones erected, at the north-west corner of the Market Place.
1602 Isaac Ambrose, a celebrated divine, born at Ambrose Hall, in Westby-with-Plumpton. Guild celebration.
1589 Feud between Thomas Hoghton, Esq., and Langton, Baron of Walton, &c., in which the former was killed. Manor and estate of Walton-le-Dale transferred, by Langton, to the heir of Hoghton, in compensation.
1588 Meeting of county gentry, &c., in the town, respecting the threatened invasion by the Spanish Armada.
1582 Guild Festival, Celebrated afterwards every 20 years.
1581 (about) Parish Church re-built and re-dedicated from St. Wilfrid to St. John.
1574 Visitation by Archbishop Grindal.
1572 John Weever, antiquarian, born at Preston.
1566 Elizabeth granted the “great” charter.
1562 Plague. Guild Celebration.
1557 Charter granted by Queen Mary,
1553 Grant of property in Preston, Kirkham, and Kellamergh, by Christopher Walton, of Little Hoole, for founding and maintaining Hutton Grammar School.
1542 Guild Celebration,.
1539 Friary and Hospital closed.
1535-48 Preston in a decayed or decaying state.
1530 Thomas Preston, dramatic author and actor, born at Preston,
1501 Preston Parish Church annexed to the honor of Tutbury.
1500 Guild Celebration.
1481 Land in Fulwood and Penwortham moss granted to Sir Thomas Molyneux.
1459 Guild Celebration.
1453 Troops raised at Preston, by Lord Derby, to fight in the civil war.
1439 Guild Celebration.
1425 Charter granted by Henry VI.
1415 Guild Celebration.
1414 Charter granted by Henry V.
1401 Charter granted by Henry IV.
1397 Guild Merchant celebration,.
1379 Charter granted by Richard II.
1362 John O’Gaunt held, in capite, the lordship and the Parish Church of Preston.
1355 Assizes held at Preston.
1343 Preston pronounced to be, in respect to moveable property, the richest “royal borough” in Lancashire.
1339 Edward III took charge of the manor of Preston.
1337 Dispute as to Preston Church between Sir W. de Clayton and the Abbot of Vale Royal.
1333 Edward III, with his army, passed through Preston on his way to Scotland.
1328 Edward III granted a municipal charter. First definitely recorded Guild Merchant at Preston.
1327 First recorded election of Mayor of Preston.
1326 No Parliamentary elections at Preston after this date for 221 years.
1323 Assizes held at Preston: judges were intimidated by some armed men, and obliged to adjourn. Preston set on fire by Robert Bruce.
1307 Adam de Banistre slain by followers of the Earl of Lancaster in a fight which occurred between Leyland and Preston.
1306 Edward I at Preston. During his stay he issued two proclamations.
1295 First recorded Parliamentary election at Preston.
1293 Hospital of St. Mary Magdalen, Maudlands, founded.
1292 Trial between Edward I and the bailiffs and community of Preston respecting borough, market, and other rights and privileges.
1291 Almshouses “in their full splendour” at Preston.
1253 Grant of land (324 acres) in the Forest of Fulwood to the burgesses of Preston, by Henry III.
1252 Another charter granted by Henry III.
1242 Villa of Preston owned by Randal Featherstone.
1227 Charter granted by Henry III.
1221 Franciscan Convent of Grey Friars founded.
1220 Walter de Preston killed in a feud.
1216 Adam de Preston held the tenth of a knight’s fee at Preston.
1202 Peter Russinoil, vicar of Preston Parish Church—first recorded vicar here.
1200 Inhabitants of Preston fined ten marks and a palfrey in respect to a plaint issued by Theobald Walter concerning gaol and gallows.
1199 Charter granted by King John.
1194 Fee of the lordship of Preston confirmed to Theobald Walter by Richard I.
1190 Dispute between the Abbot of Lancaster priory and Theobald Walter as to the advowson of Preston Parish Church.
1180 (about) Charter granted to Preston by Henry II.
1154 Paviage and other privileges granted by Henry II to the inhabitants of Preston.
1124 Monks (from Normandy) located at Tulketh Hall, prior to erection of Furness Abbey.
1100-35 The “Custumal” of Preston supposed to have been granted.
1087 Penwortham Priory erected.
1080-86 Domesday Survey made—Preston chief town in Amounderness.
940 Tithes and Fishery of Preston and two bovates of land granted to the priory of Lancaster.
937 Battle of “Brunanburh” fought at the “pass of the Ribble.”
930 Preston granted, by Athelstan, to the Archbishop of York.
710 (about) Preston Parish Church built.
705 Lands on the Ribble (at or near Preston), in Amounderness granted to Ripon Monastery.