The lower end of Church Street in the later 17th century based on a plan at Lancashire Archives (DDX194/9) and a copy of the plan at the Harris Reference Library, Preston, annotated with the names of property owners by Stephen Sartin. The annotation also identifies inns and taverns, barns and other buildings as well as indicating which properties extend to more than two storeys. The numbers are the ones on the annotated plan and relate to the list below. Note: DDX194/9 is an attempt at a visualisation based on original survey documents. Its accuracy is uncertain, but it does provide a feel for the townscape in 1685 (see The 1685 Survey of Preston for a detailed discussion of the 17th-century plans).
List of property owners
Spelling of names as in original Lancashire Archive documents: be aware of possible transcription errors.
1: Edw Jam Taylor 2: Tho Poole 3: Jno Hodgkinson 4: Henry Merry 5: Widow Walmsley 6: Wm Dophin 7: Edw. Spirrier 8: Rt. Whittingham 9: Mrs Jane Mitten widow 10: Jno Kellett 11: Jno Hodkinson 12: Rd Thorp 13: Wm Clayton 14: Ellen Salter 15: Eli [?] Hodkinson 16: Evan Hodgkinson 17: Tho Slater 18: Jno Clayton 19: Wm Bateson 20: Widow Place 21: Rt. Simson 22: Ed Keuerden 23: Jerimy Ashton 24: Wm Adkinson – The Talbot-Dog 25a: Jno Bayley – not on Harris annotation 25: Tho Smith 26: Widow Eli Abbott 27: Widow Bolton 28: Nic Pasaley 48: Wm Abraham 49: Mr Jepson – innkeeper at the Crown 50: Jno Seedle 51: An Langton 52: Patten Co – Thomas Patten 53: Tho Hill 54: Widow Brunwood 55: Dan Tunstall 56: Paten Co – Patten House: the home of Thomas Patten, soon to become the Preston residence of the Stanleys 57: Law Bostocke 58: Law Bostock 59: Nico Cunlow 60: Eli Cork 61: James Harryson 62: Eli Clarkson – the Harris annotator bracketed this property and 63 with a query indicating uncertainty which person owned which property 63: Hen Langton 64: Capt Clayton 65: Tho Poole 66: James Baly 67: Mrs Farnaw 69: Hen Miers 70: John Merry 71: Martin Maberrey 72: Ralph Gregson 73: Hen Heaton
A selection of some of the other items on this site
Does the district known as Little Ireland that was firmly established in Preston by the middle of the 19th century qualify as a ‘ghetto’? It was home to Irish immigrants attracted by the town’s employment opportunities and driven by the famine that was devastating their country. See Irish ‘ghettoes’ in 19th-century Preston
When the 1871 census seemed to show just how much land was held in so few hands the Radicals were jubilant. The Conservative Earl of Derby was prodded to stand up in the House of Lords to demand a recount by way of a government survey. The result showed who owned most of the land in Lancashire. See Who owned Lancashire?
– Nigel Morgan’s ‘lost book’: the best guide to middle-class housing in Victorian Preston and a detailed source for the social history of the town. Rediscovered only very recently. See Desirable Dwellings – Nigel Morgan’s ‘lost book’
Why did so very few conscripts from Preston’s working-class districts find a place in the officer’s mess, and what does it say about the class divide in Edwardian Preston? See Great War conscription and Edwardian Preston’s ‘class ceiling’
The diaries of Thomas Bellingham (above) and Lawrence Rawstorne open a window on life in 17th-century Preston, and reveal the web of family and social connections that enabled the gentry to govern Lancashire. See Bellingham/Rawstorne diaries
From the back streets of Preston to the back streets of Farnworth by way of Cambridge and headship of Rivington Grammar School, the life of Septimus Tebay is a remarkable story of clogs to clogs in one generation. See Septimus Tebay — maths prodigy
A number of Catholic priests from Preston volunteered to serve as army chaplains in the Great War. They included Fr Bernard Page who saw service on the Western Front and in revolutionary Russia. Clerics in khaki
Alexander Rigby, one of the key figures in the Civil War in Lancashire, never let principles get in the way of a good deal: he was ‘never knowne to bee worth one [thousand] till hee became a publicke robber by law: but you must remember hee had beene a lawyer and a bad one.’ Alexander Rigby and his family.
Kim Travis has traced the history of the Tulketh district of Preston and its hall from pre-Norman times up to the present day. It is a marvelously detailed reconstruction. See Tulketh and its hall.
One of the foulest of the many obnoxious trades of Victorian England was the tanning of leather. The Dixon family of Bank Parade, Avenham, developed Preston’s largest tannery on their own doorstep. See Frenchwood Tannery.
Preston’s claim to have created Britain’s first public park with the opening of Moor Park in the first half of the 19th-century was, some years ago, called into question by a leading academic. Was he right? Preston’s first park.
Bow Lane, the Preston address of Lancashire Archives, was earlier named Spring Street. Even earlier it had a somewhat indecorous name. See Stand Prick Lane.
Preston Market Square in the later 17th century. Find this and other plans of the town at that date here.
Plan of Preston in 1774 showing the holdings of the principal landowners. The 1774 Preston survey.
Map shows what the road network round Preston might have looked like in the late 11th century. Note no Walton bridge. Preston after Domesday