A Preston hostelry known as Tootell’s was visited regularly by Lawrence Rawstorne as recorded in his diary. The first reference comes on 23 April 1685 when he reports that he was at ‘Wid Tootell’s wth Mr Mayor’, later references (5 May 1688 to 19 December 1689) refer to the establishment as Hugh Tootell’s. A Mrs Tootell is listed against a property on the north side of Church Street in the 1685 survey of Preston and this may have been the location of the hostelry. (See plan).
%d bloggers like this: