Problem with pdfs
A global WordPress bug is preventing pdf images displaying at the moment. A link to the pdf is offered instead on the pages linked below. WordPress developers are working to fix it.
The 1685 Survey of Preston
A detailed survey of Preston was carried out at the end of the 17th century and the surveyors’ sketch plans have been preserved. Internal evidence suggests they were produced in 1685 and they have been attributed to the antiquarian Richard Kuerden. The plans include the name of the owner/occupier of each property.
Contents of this section include:
An introduction to the survey
Plans of the following areas:
Church Street lower
Church Street upper and Stoneygate
Main Sprit Weind
St John’s Street area
A 17th-century Lancashire road map
A series of maps and rough sketch plans that were discovered at the same time as the above plan of Preston:
The 1774 Survey of Preston
A survey of Preston was prepared in 1774 together with a plan. They provide a wonderfully detailed picture of the landscape on the eve of its transformation by industrialisation.
Preston Moor was originally a part of Fulwood Forest that was separated from the forest and granted to Preston by a charter of 1252. It continued to play an important part in the economy of the town up until the 19th century.