A brief description of the Preston landscape and communications at the end of the 11th century, with map.
When the Normans originally established Fulwood Forest the southern boundary stretched to the outskirts of Preston. Over time the Preston burgesses encroached on the forest, creating enclosures. In 1252 these encroachments were recognized and legalized, pushing back the boundary with the forest and giving Preston more than 600 acres of land to meet the needs of a growing population.
Lancashire land measurement
Before the 19th century the size of an acre in Lancashire differed both from the statute measure and from district to district. In Preston a rod of 21 feet rather than the statute 16 feet 6 inches appears to have been customary. This makes a Preston acre equivalent to 1.62 statute acres.
Preston’s pre-industrial landscape
A 1774 plan attributed to the surveyor George Lang provides a detailed record of Preston’s pastoral landscape just before rapid industrialisation began fashioning its present appearance.
South of Ribbleton Lane
The story of Tulketh and Tulketh Hall
An article contributed by Kim Travis tracing the development of Tulketh Hall from Norman times up to the present day