Main Sprit Weind in the later 17th century based on a plan at Lancashire Archives (DDX194/9) and a copy of the plan at the Harris Reference Library, Preston, annotated with the names of property owners by Stephen Sartin. The annotation also identifies inns and taverns, barns and other buildings as well as indicating which properties extend to more than two storeys. The numbers are the ones on the annotated plan and relate to the list below. Note: DDX194/9 is an attempt at a visualisation based on original survey documents. Its accuracy is uncertain, but it does provide a feel for the townscape in 1685 (see The 1685 Survey of Preston for a detailed discussion of the 17th-century plans). The name Main Sprit Weind is believed to be a corruption of Mains Pit Weind. Mains was the name given to bouts in cock fighting so the name of this weind could be rendered as Cockpit Alley. See Preston Street Names – Chapter Two.
List of property owners
Spelling of names as in original Lancashire Archive documents: be aware of possible transcription errors
338: Geo Drinkwater 339: Wm Greenough 340: Geo Ratcliffe – innkeeper 341: Wm Bradley 342: Tho Burchall 343: Geo Bullock 345: x Nowell – grocer 346: Wm Swansey – innkeeper 347: Tho Winkley 348: Tho Winkley 349: Roger Sudell – Sudell made a bequest in his 1702 will to establish and finance a school converted from the stable and hayloft next to this property. He left £12 a year to the school: £10 towards the master’s salary and £2 for books.  He had another property on Fishergate, which was probably his main residence. 350: Tho Cook 351: Ellen Southward – either this property or No 352 was probably the Coffee House 352: Jno Armstrong 353: Widow Cliftons Yard 354: ? ? Yard 355: Monseurs Croft or Yard – Monsieur was the keeper of a hostelry that features in the Bellingham/Rawstorne diaries
 Anthony Hewitson, History of Preston, reprint of 1883 edition (Wakefield: S. R. Publishers, 1969), 243.
A selection of some of the other items on this site
Does the district known as Little Ireland that was firmly established in Preston by the middle of the 19th century qualify as a ‘ghetto’? It was home to Irish immigrants attracted by the town’s employment opportunities and driven by the famine that was devastating their country. See Irish ‘ghettoes’ in 19th-century Preston
When the 1871 census seemed to show just how much land was held in so few hands the Radicals were jubilant. The Conservative Earl of Derby was prodded to stand up in the House of Lords to demand a recount by way of a government survey. The result showed who owned most of the land in Lancashire. See Who owned Lancashire?
– Nigel Morgan’s ‘lost book’: the best guide to middle-class housing in Victorian Preston and a detailed source for the social history of the town. Rediscovered only very recently. See Desirable Dwellings – Nigel Morgan’s ‘lost book’
Why did so very few conscripts from Preston’s working-class districts find a place in the officer’s mess, and what does it say about the class divide in Edwardian Preston? See Great War conscription and Edwardian Preston’s ‘class ceiling’
The diaries of Thomas Bellingham (above) and Lawrence Rawstorne open a window on life in 17th-century Preston, and reveal the web of family and social connections that enabled the gentry to govern Lancashire. See Bellingham/Rawstorne diaries
From the back streets of Preston to the back streets of Farnworth by way of Cambridge and headship of Rivington Grammar School, the life of Septimus Tebay is a remarkable story of clogs to clogs in one generation. See Septimus Tebay — maths prodigy
A number of Catholic priests from Preston volunteered to serve as army chaplains in the Great War. They included Fr Bernard Page who saw service on the Western Front and in revolutionary Russia. Clerics in khaki
Alexander Rigby, one of the key figures in the Civil War in Lancashire, never let principles get in the way of a good deal: he was ‘never knowne to bee worth one [thousand] till hee became a publicke robber by law: but you must remember hee had beene a lawyer and a bad one.’ Alexander Rigby and his family.
Kim Travis has traced the history of the Tulketh district of Preston and its hall from pre-Norman times up to the present day. It is a marvelously detailed reconstruction. See Tulketh and its hall.
One of the foulest of the many obnoxious trades of Victorian England was the tanning of leather. The Dixon family of Bank Parade, Avenham, developed Preston’s largest tannery on their own doorstep. See Frenchwood Tannery.
Preston’s claim to have created Britain’s first public park with the opening of Moor Park in the first half of the 19th-century was, some years ago, called into question by a leading academic. Was he right? Preston’s first park.
Bow Lane, the Preston address of Lancashire Archives, was earlier named Spring Street. Even earlier it had a somewhat indecorous name. See Stand Prick Lane.
Preston Market Square in the later 17th century. Find this and other plans of the town at that date here.
Plan of Preston in 1774 showing the holdings of the principal landowners. The 1774 Preston survey.
Map shows what the road network round Preston might have looked like in the late 11th century. Note no Walton bridge. Preston after Domesday