The first mention of a House of Correction in Preston comes in an order from the county magistrates in 1617 to build one in the town. The former friary buildings off Marsh Lane were adapted for the purpose (see plan).  It was replaced in 1789 by the present prison at the bottom of Church Street. The diarist Thomas Bellingham, in an entry for 20 March 1689, records that seven Irishman were detained there, suspected of being Jacobites. The governor of the House of Correction at this time was William Tomlinson, the diarist Lawrence Rawstorne records his appointment on 14 September 1685. After the Revolution he was accused of being a Jacobite and replaced. He successfully pleaded his innocence but had difficulty regaining his place, which he did, eventually but briefly, towards the end of the century.