On this day … 5 August 1858

The Preston Guardian reported the laying of the foundation stone of St. Luke‘s Church, off Ribbleton Lane, where the terraces and factories of the growing mill town had just reached. A district that still retained a rural feel.

According to one visitor returning to town through Ribbleton in 1861, the ‘beautiful new church’ and its neighbouring school stood out from the surrounding buildings, which ‘do their best to spoil the effect of both with their disgraceful negligence’:

‘We take a different route back to the town; but there are the same pools lying in the farm-yards, the same moisture in the ditches, more dung-meers, more brick-kilns and waste places, and tracts of privy stuff, the same proximity of piggeries and dwellings. And so we get back to Preston through Wignall Street, in which the road is yet unmade, and through which the filth from the houses flows down past the entrance of a beautiful new church, and round a corner site facing the west end of it, where there is a new school, designed by Mr. Carter. A house opposite the church and school and the roads around Napier’s mills do their best to spoil the effect of both with their disgraceful negligence.’

The Preston historian Anthony Hewitson visited the church and its district a few years later, and was unimpressed by the district, which he thought:

‘… a queer, far-off unshaven region. Aged sparrows and men who like ale better than their mothers, dwell in its surroundings; phalanxes of young Britons, born without head coverings, and determined to keep them off; columns of wives, beautiful for ever in their unwashedness …’

St Luke's Preston
Preston Digital Archive: ‘St. Luke’s Church, Fletcher Road / Bleasdale Street, Preston 1984. Built in 1858-59 E.H.Shellard, Architect. Photograph by Beth Hayes (PHS)’
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rpsmithbarney/5855273824/

He did, however, quite like the church, and supplied useful information about its establishment.

It had cost £5,350 to buy the land and pay for the church, which could accommodate 800 worshippers and only a quarter of the pews were rented out, unlike at the parish church, where for most of the nineteenth-century there were no free places.

Despite this generous provision of free places, the church, according to Hewitson, had an average Sunday attendance of only 250, in a district of 5,500 souls. By contrast, when he visited St Augustine’s Catholic church at the same time, he discovered that the average Sunday attendance at that church was 3,290 in a district with a population of just over 8,000.

He provides a pen portrait of the minister, the Rev William Winlaw, and attended one of his services but was unimpressed by his performance in the pulpit, where he:

‘…preaches rather long sermons, and has a difficulty in giving over when he has got to the end. In one of his sermons we heard him say, after a five-and-twenty minutes run, “In conclusion,” “Lastly,” and “Finally;” and we had almost made up our mind for another sermon after he had “finished,” but he decided to give over without preaching it.’

Attached to the church, was a branch of the Orange Order and ‘other societies for the maintenance of Protestantism’.

St Luke's. Preston - plan
Map of St Luke’s District and (below) survey date: https://maps.nls.uk/view/231280347

Note:

The Ordnance Survey surveyed the district in 1847, more than ten years before the foundation stone was laid, yet the map based on that survey published in 1849 and bearing that date shows the church and its school (see images). The Ordnance Survey revised its maps, but did not add the revision dates, which can lead historians astray.

Ordnance Survey - survey date

Sources
A disturbing view of Victorian Preston
Hewitson’s Our Churches and Chapels: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/10479/10479-h/10479-h.htm?fbclid=IwAR0UcAx1HG1okrlbw5Vwc6C0_jSWjXWgVlH1fIN7I_E-vjWQ1VvEHrfnns4


Discover more from preston history

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply