The Preston Guardian had an article on a proposal to incorporate Ribbleton into the Preston borough boundary. The following year Ribbleton was swallowed up by Preston, with just a small portion on the Longridge side remaining as an independent township. Three years later the ancient Ribbleton Moor that was shared with neighbouring Brockholes was enclosed.
The 1851 census returns reveal a small colony of handloom weavers in the township. They would have access to subsistence rights such as grazing and fuel supplies on the moor that would have supplemented their declining weaving incomes. There was no compensation for their like when the moor was enclosed in 1873; the land was simply shared out among the landowners of Ribbleton and Brockholes.
Ribbleton is shaded green on the 1840s map pictured, and Ribbleton Moor is the darker shaded area. There is a little island of green near the top of the moor. That was the Bowling Green Inn (now the Ribble Lodge) and its adjoining field. In earlier centuries, hundreds of cattle from Scotland would be herded through Goosnargh and pass across the moor and around the pub, heading for the great Preston market. There is still a Scotch Green near Inglewhite, one of the places where the cattle would be rested overnight.
All trace of this lost life of the township has now disappeared, with the exception of the base of the medieval stone cross at the junction of Blackpool Road and Ribbleton Avenue, which marked the old boundary between Preston and Ribbleton.
For more on the Bowling Green pub, go to: https://pubsinpreston.blogspot.com/…/bowling-green-inn…
For the map of Ribbleton in the 1840s: https://maps.nls.uk/view/102343946