Maps showing the owners and occupiers of the plots listed in the Preston tithe schedule are now online, along with maps from the Lang survey of Preston in 1774. The schedule was transcribed by volunteers working on the tithe schedules project for the Lancashire Place Name Survey. Set alongside each other, the Lang maps and the tithe maps provide a visually compelling reminder of how dramatically the landscape of Preston transformed between the late 18th century and the first half of the 19th, and plot the transfer of land ownership in that period that paved the way for the rapid spread of housing north of the town from the middle of the 19th century. .
Coming next: the Ashton tithe maps