On this day … 26 September 1729

Preston corporation rented a parcel of land for £4 a year to two men to establish the town’s first piped water supply. Until then householders had had to rely on public wells around the town or those on private property, such as the one that Jeremy Rowlands uncovered in the old Friargate public house now named Plau, and which can still be seen today.

The two men behind what was Preston’s first waterworks were Robert Abbatt, a chapman (a small trader) and a Quaker, and Thomas Kellett, a joiner. They drew the water from the area known as Syke Hill and, probably, the land called the Water Willows to the east of the present Manchester Road, then known as Cockerhole.

They collected the water in a large cistern at the bottom of what is now known as Glover’s Court (later the site of the town’s gas works). The townsfolk were clearly doubtful of the success of the enterprise, for they dubbed the cistern and its associated building The Folly.

Plan of the old Preston Gas Works
The Preston Gas Works in the 1840s. Notice the Folly Reservoir in the top left hand corner: https://maps.nls.uk/view/231280359

From their ‘folly’, the two men used a pump powered by ‘decrepit horses’ to pipe the water to another cistern in the Market Place, from where it was then piped around the town in pipes made from tree trunks with a hole bored through them. They extended down Friargate as far as St George’s Chapel, along Fishergate to what was to become Winckley Street, and along Church Street as far as the present Manchester Road.

The wooden pipes were later replaced by lead ones, which in turn were taken up to be replaced with cast iron pipes, the decrepit horses by then having been exchanged for a steam engine.

At selected points around the town, taps were inserted in the pipes and a man was employed to operate them. He was provided with a rattle and a key, and would proceed to the various taps and signal with his rattle that he was unlocking the tap for a set period. Local inhabitants would gather at the water tap, carrying a variety of containers, to collect their daily supply of water.

In its agreement with the two men, the corporation arranged that watercocks should be put in the pipes at five strategic points around the town, which could be opened to extinguish fires.

Even after the introduction of the water works, townsfolk could still draw their water for free from the public wells. The main ones were the Main Sprit Weind well, another at the north side of the market Place, one in Fishergate, the Lady Well off from the bottom of Friargate, and the Goose Well, at the bottom of Church Street. In addition, water carts travelled round the streets three of four times a day (Sundays excepted).

These wells were replaced with pumps, which seem to have proved popular with the townsfolk, since several more were placed around the town (Friargate alone had three). There was one in the Market Place that reputedly also served as a whipping post.

The waterworks continued to operate until the early years of the nineteenth century, when Preston’s rapid growth rendered it totally inadequate to supply the needs of the town. In 1832, the Preston Waterworks Company was set up with a reservoir in Grimsargh. Later in the century, as the town continued to expand, the company was taken over by the corporation, which built more reservoirs at Grimsargh.


Sources
Clemesha’s History of Preston
Whittle’s History of Preston
Hewitson’s History of Preston


Discover more from preston history

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply