Conflicted sexuality in Edwardian Preston
The story of a narrowly averted scandal involving a member of the Winckley Square district’s wealthy elite
The third volume of Nigel Morgan’s three books on Preston’s 19th-century social history. Two were published (Vanished Dwellings and Dangerous Dwellings) but Desirable Dwellings was not. A version based on a typescript of that volume, with some added illustrations, has now been added to this site.
A brief description of the Preston landscape and communications at the end of the 11th century, with map.
Friargate’s Catholic ‘chapels’ – 1605-1990
Post-Reformation Catholicism in Preston as revealed by the accounts of various chapels found or imagined in Friargate in the course of four centuries
When the Normans originally established Fulwood Forest the southern boundary stretched to the outskirts of Preston. Over time the Preston burgesses encroached on the forest, creating enclosures. In 1252 these encroachments were recognized and legalized, pushing back the boundary with the forest and giving Preston more than 600 acres of land to meet the needs of a growing population.
Lancashire land measurement
Before the 19th century the size of an acre in Lancashire differed both from the statute measure and from district to district. In Preston a rod of 21 feet rather than the statute 16 feet 6 inches appears to have been customary. This makes a Preston acre equivalent to 1.62 statute acres.
Preston’s pre-industrial landscape
A 1774 plan attributed to the surveyor George Lang provides a detailed record of Preston’s pastoral landscape just before rapid industrialisation began fashioning its present appearance.
South of Ribbleton Lane
The story of Tulketh and Tulketh Hall
An article contributed by Kim Travis tracing the development of Tulketh Hall from Norman times up to the present day