An alehouse known as Mitton’s occurs frequently in the Bellingham-Rawstorne diaries in the 1680s. Sometimes it is referred to as Margaret Mitton’s and Hewitson refers to it as John Mitton’s but supplies no source.  A John Mitten had a property on the south side of Church Street between Main Spit Weind and the parish church on the 1685 plan of Preston. No other reference to the alehouse has been found.
%d bloggers like this: