William Colton was the curate at both St Mary’s Church, Walton-le-Dale and St Mary’s, Samlesbury, from 1688 until 1703. VCH has him residing at Walton, but gives no source. He graduated from Brasenose College, Oxford, and was ordained in 1680. 
 William Farrer and J. Brownbill, eds., The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, vol. 6 (London: Constable, 1912), 299; ‘William Colton’, Clergy of the Church of England Database, accessed 16 August 2018, http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/persons/DisplayPerson.jsp?PersonID=63784.